Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Faith & Emotions (Part 1)

You seldom hear talk of emotions in church, but the Bible has much to say on the topic.

First of all, God is an emotional God; and we are made in his image. God shows love beyond measure. God is love. God can be jealous, or angry. God has great compassion and mercy. God has designed emotions to be intertwined with reason and logic. I believe it can be a difficult task to find a healthy balance. I am sharing this topic with you not because I have mastered it but because I have a lot to learn and the Lord has been changing me in this area.

Many of us have been taught that emotions should play no part in our faith and I have been a disciple of that belief. I have taught for example that God does not command us to feel any particular emotion. Untrue! I have believed that our emotions are dangerous and should be downplayed. As a counselor for many years I have seen people controlled by their emotions throwing logic out the window. I have also seen people, let’s face it men, who seemed cold and uncaring and had no idea how to affectionately love their wives. I have gone along with the theory that our reason should be the engine and our actions should come next and our emotions should be the caboose. I have come to believe that the outcome of this teaching has left Christians: cold, indifferent and emotionally numb.

So many people are walking around as zombies – emotionally dead. For example, we don’t know how to celebrate as Christians in a healthy manner. I am having my first grandchild in a few weeks. I’m guessing that I will not only have a rational response but an emotional one as well. But how do I celebrate? Do I buy cigars for everyone? Who came up with that idea anyway? The only thing I know to do to celebrate is to take 30 pictures of the baby and bring them to my men’s Bible study to show them around. I’m not so sure that is the best idea either.

In a few months my only son is getting married. As a participant in the wedding ceremony should I be emotional, showing the joy I feel? Or should I be stoic and serious because we are in church and a wedding is serious business? Traditionally celebration is not acceptable in church. That alone speaks volumes. You have to wait until the reception to celebrate, which by the way is not at the church. Plus there is no open bar at the reception so how does one celebrate while stone sober? I can’t dance at least not without a drink or two. Who am I kidding? After a couple of drinks I only think I can dance. How does my faith work itself out while engaging my emotions?

1 comment: