Thursday, April 2, 2009

Discipline vs Delight

I knew I was supposed to get more exercise. I tried to run although I don’t enjoy running like I used to when I was a boy. Actually I have tired to get started in an every other day regime many many times. It always fails before I get very far and never has brought me any long-term benefit because I can’t stick to it. It has been at least three years since I went for a run. I know people who approach devotions in the same way. They know they should be disciplined but they just can’t stick with it very long. They end up feeling guilty and often decide to give up altogether saying this is not for me.

On the other hand, ask me to play tennis and I’m there! Last Saturday I played for three hours. It wasn’t difficult even though I was very tired and my feet were sore. In fact I can’t wait to get out there and play again. Granted I don’t burn as many calories playing tennis as I do if I were running. However, since I don’t run at all I am bringing more benefit to my body playing tennis.

In similar fashion, I spend the majority of my devotional life not in strict discipline but being intimate with God and growing our relationship. It is very rewarding and I love it. I wish I had more time to spend with the Lord in this way. I delight in the Lord and the spiritual discipline is not a problem, it’s a joy. “Delight in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.”

3 comments:

  1. I was just thinking tonight, that God really loves the moments where spending time with him is a delight, not a duty.

    What a great illustration! I might have to borrow it and share it with others. I'll be sure to give you credit =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a note to let you know I'm reading it.
    Blessings,
    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim,
    This is great!
    Alex

    ReplyDelete